While some vacationers are counting the times till they will take pleasure in a cup of scorching cocoa and take within the views of snow-laced peaks, others are dreaming of a heat beachy escape that’ll present a much-needed break from the plummeting temperatures again residence.
If that sounds such as you, there’s one explicit European island that must be moved proper to the highest of your journey bucket record.
Gran Canaria, a part of Spain’s iconic Canary Islands archipelago, is without doubt one of the area’s crown jewels, beckoning vacationers with open arms and sunny shores regardless of winter being only a hop, skip, and leap away.
So, if you happen to’re nonetheless on the seek for your subsequent journey vacation spot, what you’ll discover under may simply persuade you to move off to Gran Canaria this winter.
One of probably the most defining options that units Gran Canaria other than different winter getaway locations throughout Europe is its dreamy weather that continues to maintain vacationers heat even this time of yr.
According to TUI, the UK’s largest tour operator, common temperatures on the island are anticipated to hover round 20°C (68°F), which, whereas not fairly ideally suited for sunbathing, are excellent for nice sightseeing excursions the place you gained’t need to put on something greater than a lightweight t-shirt.
However, seashore lovers shall be delighted to study that swimming remains to be very a lot on the desk, because the a part of the Atlantic that meets the island’s shores is remarkably heat, at the same time as air temperatures begin to drop.
This upcoming month, water temperatures are anticipated to common 21° C (70°F), making it the perfect time to go in for a pleasing but refreshing swim.
Moreover, predictions communicate of a 63% likelihood of an ideal sunny day this December and a 37% likelihood of seeing just a few clouds, so chances are high that you simply’ll get to soak beneath the Spanish solar greater than as soon as throughout your time right here.
So Much To See
One of the principle the reason why you’ll come to understand the nice climate in Gran Canaria is the truth that you’ll have a protracted itinerary to finish earlier than you allow the island.
The area is a microcosm of various landscapes and ecosystems, and the island’s inside, a Unesco Biosphere Reserve, is residence to the enduring Roque Nublo, a towering volcanic rock formation whose panoramic views are to not be missed.
On the opposite hand, these seeking to get a tan this winter can nonetheless make the most of Gran Canaria’s 146-mile-long (236 km) shoreline.
Here, you’ll discover the idyllic gold-sanded seashores of Playa del Ingles and Maspalomas, the place you can’t solely take within the spectacular views but in addition discover the buzzing underwater world of the area.
An Event-Filled Winter
If mountaineering or diving isn’t actually your factor, you may at all times stick with the cultural occasions that happen everywhere in the island this time of yr.
Attend the Christmas Eve live performance at Santa Ana Square, expertise the exhilarating music performed on the concert events on Las Canteras Beach, stroll by way of the outdated city of Las Palmas, or go to one of many many Christmas Markets scattered throughout Gran Canaria – the alternatives are just about limitless.
Though this is perhaps anticipated when visiting Southern Europe, it’s nonetheless price mentioning – Gran Canaria’s culinary scene is a marvel ready to be explored.
Drawing inspiration from Spanish, African, and Latin American cuisines, the daring, flavorful dishes served by native tavernas function a testomony to the island’s various influences all through its previous.
From contemporary seafood caught proper off the coast to arrugadas, mojo sauces, and the famend Canarian black pig, the area guarantees to take each palate by way of the journey of a lifetime.
A Gateway To Other Idyllic Islands
If you’re seeking to take pleasure in an island-hopping expertise this upcoming winter, establishing base in Gran Canaria is without doubt one of the greatest selections you may make.
Whether you wish to discover the volcanic landscapes of Lanzarote or the plush forests of La Gomera, the island serves as the proper gateway to an thrilling, well-rounded exploration of your entire Canary archipelago.
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the newest reopening information, conversations, and Q&A’s occurring every day!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your electronic mail deal with to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s newest breaking journey information, straight to your inbox.
This article initially appeared on TravelOffPath.com